RE: [TR] Powder Coat curing ovens

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Powder Coat curing ovens
From: ray@raysmg.com
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:07:20 -0700
Dave has asked about ovens...a subject I've been kicking around for a
while.

I'm thinking about trying one of the home powder coating guns but will
need an oven for curing. I'm single and could use the oven in the
kitchen...since I don't use it for anything else :) ...but I don't
think that would be such a good idea.

I have a large stainless steel natural gas three burner grill out on the
deck. It has an external thermometer that seems to be quite accurate; I
have a good baking thermometer I can verify with. I can easily adjust
the temperature to within a 10-15 degree range and it will hold that
temperature quite consistently as long as the outside air temp is
fairly constant (mid-day). I was thinking that I could place a part (up
to 18X24X12) on a metal baking tray and give it a try. The tray should
diffuse the rising heat a bit and allow for much more even heating
within the heat dome (grill hood).

Has anyone trie this? Success?

Ray

Ray McCaleb