RE: [TR] Bench Testing

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Bench Testing
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 14:12:17 -0800
> Is there a resource available to describe step by step how one would bench
> test an electric motor.

Try any Triumph manual under starter motor testing.

> What does one use for a power
> source, for example? Is it a matter of matching the volts on the
> motor itself?

Very important to match not only volts, but also current and power type.  For
example, if you connect a car starter motor to one of those 12v "battery
eliminator" things from Radio Shack, it ain't gonna work !  And while there are
a very few motors that do not care about AC or DC, the vast majority do care.
Plus of course a 3-phase AC motor must have 3-phase AC or it won't work.

> (I confess. The immediate need doesn't involve an automotive accessory.)

It would be a lot easier to give you useful advice if you'd tell us what it's
for ...

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org