RE: [TR] TR temp senders?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR temp senders?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 15:02:41 -0800
> I am having a hard time finding correct temp sender part #s for TR4.
> After all these years there seems to be many part numbers/brands and
> cross-overs.

If your definition of "correct" is something that will make your gauge read
accurately, I suspect the answer is that there isn't such a thing.  Those
gauges were never all that accurate to begin with, and they haven't improved
with age.  To get any decent accuracy, you're going to have to measure
whatever temp sender you wind up with, and then calibrate the gauge to
match, IMO.

The information I have is that the original part number was 131602 for the
early domed glass temp gauge, and 134435 for the later flat glass gauge.  I
don't know why the change was made, or what the difference is, but it seems
very unlikely to me that these two parts were identical.  However, the
factory did list 134435 as a replacement for 131602 (and vice versa), so
they evidently felt they were "close enough".

Revington, TRF, Rimmers and Moss UK all seem to agree that GTR104 is the
replacement for both 131602 and 134435.  Not conclusive, I'll agree, but
that seems like your best chance.

I only found GTR111 listed for Morgans and Jaguars.

> Should I search out a NOS SMITHS temp sender

The senders also drift with time, so even this is not guaranteed to be
correct (assuming of course you figure out which Smiths number corresponds
to each Stanpart number).

I recently tested several Stag voltmeters, which are the same basic
construction as a TR4 temperature gauge, but of course without any
uncertainty as to voltage stabilizer, correct sender and so on.  There was
roughly 1/4 scale variation between the units !  On the unit from the car,
which appeared to have never been molested (even the fabric over the
adjustment windows was intact), I found the zero adjustment to be so loose
that just rapping the case lightly would change it.

YMMV of course.
Randall

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may
contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its
affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to
third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail
to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic
mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

===     http://www.vtr.org