[TR] TR4 horn FIX - YAHOO!!!!!!!!!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR4 horn FIX - YAHOO!!!!!!!!!
From: "tom white" <tswhitez123@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 01:48:34 +0000
As many of you I have had repetitive problems with the horn honking when I
turn the steering wheel of my TR4 steering column.  I have tried numerous
fixes over the last several years none have worked for long.

I have tried placing a PVC washer between the steering hub and the horn
contact ring.

I have tried using double uprated steering column bushings.

I have tried insulating the area around the horn contact ring with
dielectric grease.

Now I have the definitive answer.  I have permanently cured the problem.

The problem is the turn signal cam that clamps to the steering shaft.  The
upward end of the cam comes within a hair's breath of the three brass tabs
that hold the horn contact ring in place on it's plastic base.  Thus when
you turn the steering wheel, and the steering shaft moves to one side or the
other a little, the cam can ground the horn and cause a honking.

To permanently cure the problem raise the hood and locate the horn relay
switch.  Once you have the definitive location of the horn relay switch tap
it once very hard with a five pound hammer.  Just kidding, couldn't resist.

The real fix is to remove the turn signal cam from the steering column.
This can be accomplished through the mounting hole for the turn signal
switch and the mounting hole on the opposing side.  You may need to loosen
the wiring looms that feed to these devices.  The cam positions itself on
the steering shaft by means of a dimple that matches a hole in the shaft.
Place the cam in a vice.  Then using a die grinder, hack saw, or other
device of your choice cut off half of the cam between the dimple and the
end.  Do NOT cut the cam in half.  Then replace the cam with the cut off end
toward the steering wheel.  Now the cam will not longer make contact with
the horn when you are turning.  The cam will still operate the blinker
switch properly after the modification.

Best regards,
Tom

http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_donation&FORM=WLMTAG