Subject: RE: [TR] Valve job Late TR4

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Subject: RE: [TR] Valve job Late TR4
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:24:40 EST
When the smaller stem exhaust valve, PN# 136567, was fitted from  CT21471E,
there was a conversion
valve guide with the big OD and small ID, PN# 136575, used until the
cylinder head bore for the exhaust guide was later reduced.  I even have
several NOS
factory sets of them in the basement.

Hardy

Subject: RE: [TR] Valve job

> I do not have the equipment  to measure accurately, but I'm puzzled by
> the descriptions in the  relevant catalogs of 3/8 to 5/16 conversion
> guides, if that is what  happened previously.

TR2-early TR4 (CT21470E according to Moss)  originally had exhaust valves with
3/8" diameter stems.  Both the  inside and outside diameter of the exhaust
guide
was larger than the 5/16"  intake, although as I recall, the outside
difference
wasn't as much as the  inside difference.

After that point (approximately), the exhaust valves  had 5/16" stems and the
intake and exhaust guides were the same.   Although the head casting didn't
(necessarily) change, the holes drilled in  it for the exhaust guides got
smaller.

The smaller stem valves flow  better, and weigh less (so less prone to
float), so
fitting them to the  early head is a popular upgrade.  The "conversion" guides
have the  right od for the early heads, and the right id for the 5/16" valves.
Not  certain, but ISTR someone telling me the factory even offered these.

I  can't quite imagine someone not noticing the huge clearance; but I also
can't
explain the oversize guide any other way.  The mistake might  have been at the
factory, though.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org