[TR] Crushed driver's side rear wing on TR3...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Crushed driver's side rear wing on TR3...
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:34:22 -0800 (PST)
I'm just now able to confess what happen to poor old
TS75434 last Fall. I spent some time reconditioning
the rear brakes and looked over the bearings and all
that. This is a wire wheel car, so hubs came off. Got
everything sorted out and put it all back together.
Then came the drive around the block to see how
everything worked. Car stopped better and rear brakes
actually held with the fly-off handle applied! But, as
I was heading back to the garage after a half mile or
so I got a terrible wobble in the back. Dropped speed
from 30 to 15mph and looked back at the rear wheels
just in time to see the driver's side wheel go
shooting off. Fortunately I had reduced speed, there
was no traffic behind or ahead of me and the wheel
didn't hit a neighbors house or anything.
Unfortunately, the rear fender did a 9-12" dead drop
to the ground and skidded for maybe 10 feet before
front brakes did their job. I assessed the damage,
walked 300 feet home (so close!) and loaded up the
subaru with a jack and toolbox. Found that the rear
hub apparently wasn't torqued down enough and came
free from the axle. Got wheel affixed again and
tightened it down real good this time. Managed to get
the TR3 home without further incident. But MAN what a
horrible feeling of guilt and amazement of missing
such a simple last step. Just a note - make sure
EVERYTHING is tightened to spec before taking a test
driver. Especially wheels, suspension, axles - heck
anything that transmits power to the road.

SO now I've got a rear fender that is buckled under
pretty well towards the back. I pulled it out and down
enough to get some more test rides in, but it looks
like crap. Seems like the route to go is a replacement
fender. Agree? With that said, anyone got a driver's
side rear wing sitting around with minimal rust they
wouldn't mind parting with? Step after that will be
finding a shop that can match the paint with the rest
of the car. One thing at a time though!

Thanks,
Richard
TS75434L - Which I swear glares at me everytime I walk
in the garage.