Re: [TR] Adj. SU's leaner

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Adj. SU's leaner
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 15:26:23 -0700
Cosmo Kramer wrote:

>On my TR4A Su SH6 carbs, I'd like to lean them out more than what they are.
>Mainly to give me a little better gas mileage!

You already got some good advice, so I thought I'd share this NYT
article about the economy runs in the 60's. I do think this would be an
interesting time to revive economy runs to compare our 40 year old cars
to today's cars, even hybrids.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/24/automobiles/24MOBIL.html (registration
required)

So instead of tuning your SUs, try these tricks from a Mobilgas brochure
in the 60's:

** *Use the choke only when the engine is cold and release it as soon as
possible. Warm the engine up on the move-it will warm up more quickly
and you will use less petrol.
** *Avoid fast starts-you can use up to 60% more petrol than with a
smooth slow start.
** *If you drive at 65 miles an hour you may be using twice as much
petrol as at 35 miles per hour. Most cars give their most econo-mical
top-gear performance between 35 and 45 miles per hour.
** *Especially in the 10/20 miles per hour range, correct gear selection
is another petrol saver. Use of an unnecessarily low gear can consume
50% more petrol.
** *Anticipate hold-ups and bring your car gently to a standstill
instead of braking fiercely at the last moment.
** *Do not drive hard into a headwind-the amount of petrol used is out
of all proportion to the gain in speed.

Then again, are you sure you really want better gas mileage? What's your
mileage now?

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2 etc.