RE: [TR] control head moves

To: "'Alan Hodge'" <avhodge@iwon.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] control head moves
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 10:18:25 -0700
> On my TR3 the control head moves when I turn the wheel.
> I have removed the control head and stator tube.

Putting them back together might help ?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

> What should keep it from turning with the wheel?

There should be a short tube protruding from the back of the control head,
that fits over the stator tube.  The short tube has dimples that should
engage with the slot in the stator tube.  The stator tube should be kept
from turning by the compression fitting at the front of the steering box.
Stator tube locked means short tube locked, means control head locked.

> Could it be that the plate that the grub screws hold in place
> is too hard to turn?

Could be, but it would have to break one of the locking points I mentioned
above to turn the head.

> Do I need a new control head?

Had to say for sure, but most likely not, IMO.  Unless something is actually
broken or badly worn, in my experience they can be disassembled, cleaned and
lubricated to work as good as new.  "Dry Moly" seems to work the best for
lubricant, as grease or silicone traps dirt and gets sticky with time.

If memory serves, Alan, you live just down the road from me.  I'll be home
Sunday if you'd like to bring it to my place ... I'll fix you up.  If need
be, we can even rob parts from ole TS39781LO.

Randall