RE: [TR] RE: DOT 3/4 vs. Dot 5

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] RE: DOT 3/4 vs. Dot 5
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 13:22:01 -0700
> Any microscopic bubbles in the
> fluid will affect brake performance.  Bubbles do not settle
> out of DOT 5 as readily at DOT 3/4.

That much is true.  However, I've found that, rather than worrying about all
that special handling; all you need do is take a short break immediately
after adding to the MC and before continuing to bleed the brakes.  That will
give any microscopic bubbles time to rise to the top.  20 minutes will do,
although an hour is probably better.

Small price to pay, IMO, compared to how much time & money it will take to
repaint the engine compartment and interior when (not if but when) your DOT
3/4 leaks.

Several times now, I've seen cars that were beautifully restored, absolutely
stunning ... except for the ruined paint under the MC.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org