Re: [TR] RE:disturbing knock- resolved

To: kthompson@whoi.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] RE:disturbing knock- resolved
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 19:12:40 EDT
In a message dated 5/13/2007 12:48:07 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
kthompson@whoi.edu writes:

Curt,  you mentioned using the yellow fan frontwards, backwards, etc.,
and then  going back to the original one. Same thing I did before calling
TRF and  asking what was up, since I bought it from them at Charles'
recommendation. I got a quick response from John Swauger, who said it
has to go on backwards. When I mentioned the lack of efficiency from the
blades being cupped in the opposite direction, he said it's negligable
and won't be a problem. In fact, he replaced an electric fan set-up with
the yellow plastic one and has had no problems. I haven't had the
opportunity to test the answer yet, but as soon as the rest of my
powerblock arrives from Dan and Mike Masters, I'll be able to fire this
thing up. The motor was supposedly rebuilt 20 years ago and never put
back into the car, a '59 TR3A-in-a-bunch-of-boxes project.....
For oil, I'll be doing break-in with Rotella-T straight 30wt, then to
valvoline 20/50 VR1 racing oil. (both of which have that cool stench of
gear oil, so it's just gotta be good...!??)
All hydraulics have  DOT 5 fluif........
New solid bronze trunnions from TRF (with  bushings reamed to 5/8")
Now that I've covered all the topics of late, I'll  go back to putting
in the rest of the anti-freeze........getting so  close....
cheers,
Kevin T.

I ran my yellow fan backwards for 25 plus years without a problem.
Best, Mike Moore .

===     http://www.vtr.org