[TR] Suspension rebuild: Broken Bolt

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Suspension rebuild: Broken Bolt
From: Brian.L.Jones@gsk.com
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 18:36:09 -0400
Jim,

I faced a broken stud in my TR4's head recently. Looking online for ideas
put me right off EZ Out as a way forward. Often the hard EZ Out will snap,
and then you are really stuck.

Better to get a set of left-handed drills, pick the right size just inside
the diameter of the thread, mark the centre with a punch, drill a pilot
hole, then drill the bolt out.

Often, the left hand drill will pick up the bolt and turn it in the
correct direction for the bolt to come out. My local Horrible Fright sold
me a set of left-hand drills for the price of a couple of starbucks.

EZ Outs force the bolt to become fatter, increasing friction with the
thread...sometimes with disastrous results.

But if there is any of the bolt still proud of the hole, instead of
drilling, your best bet may be weld a nut to it.

Take a look around the web before you start. There are plenty of war
stories.

Good luck...

Brian