[TR] TR4 C-type caliper rehabilitation

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR4 C-type caliper rehabilitation
From: banc8004@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 12:50:37 +0000
I am in the process of rebuilding my brakes. I have a number of jobs
to complete (new flex lines, replace rear pads etc.) On my front
calipers, I see that I have uneven pad wear. One pad in each caliper
is twice as worn as the other, so for one reason or another, on piston
is applying less pad pressure than its sister on the other side of the
disc.

To minimise down time, I picked up a set of calipers on ebay. My hope
was to refurbish them with new pistons, piston seals and rubber seals,
and then swap out the originals...and maybe rehabilitate those for a
future need.

Anyway, I am faced with pistons I can't budge. There is some corrosion, but not
a lot, really.

I have been soaking them with penetrating oil for a day or so, to no avail, as
yet.

Does anyone have a tip for me to get these pistons out so can begin the rebuild?

If not, I guess I have a couple of Triumph artifacts to enjoy.

Brian in Valley Forge
TR4 1963
CT14455 L

===     http://www.vtr.org