[TR] flywheel -- was TR6 driveshaft

To: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Subject: [TR] flywheel -- was TR6 driveshaft
From: "THOMAS FANSHER" <tfansher@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 08:47:09 -0400
Bob,
I don't know about the TR6, but I'm in the middle of a rebuild on the TR3
and will soon be doing the TR4. Jack Drews and Joe Alexander - both race
TR4's - suggested that I go with a "mid weight" flywheel. There reasoning
was that the really light weight - about 14 pounds - are too light and make
idle and driving in stop and go traffic really difficult.  I went with a
lightened, I think it's about 22# steel flywheel in place of the more than
30# stock.  Yes, I had to replace the ring gear, but I think I'll be better
off in the long run.
Again, I don't know about this application for the TR6. You may get some
comments from this, though
Good luck.  I think I'll be done for VTR and looking forward to seeing
everyone.
Tom Fansher
61 TR3A
62 TR4