Re: [TR] Balancing the Carbs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Balancing the Carbs
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:32:05 EDT
In a message dated 7/19/2007 7:17:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
tr3driver@ca.rr.com writes:

When  balancing the carburettors, Bentley says to loosen the
>  interconnection, and balance at 850 RPM and re tighten. Then
> it says  to
> bring the engine to 1500rpm and re balance with the idle adjusting
> screws.  Do I loosen the interconnection again when I do
> this?

I've not tried it yet on my TR, but on my E Type I learned a trick about
setting the mixture:
When you're adjusting the idle mixture and you have to turn the screw one
direction or the other to see if it increases or decreases speed, its more
difficult to tell at higher idle speeds.
The trick I learned is to reduce the idle speed to as low as you can idle
reliably. On my E Type, I can reduce to 500 or so, and then you can really tell

which way you need to turn the mixture screw!

Best, Mike Moore