[TR] Real liquor.

To: frede.thomas2@verizon.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Real liquor.
From: "tom white" <tswhitez123@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:05:31 +0000
My Great Grandfather was issued a liquor license in Morgan County Tennessee
on April 21, 1879.  The tradition continued in my family for generations.
When I visited Tennessee in 1978 my cousin was making his living running
"Shine" into Chattanooga.  He took me up to the hills and introduced me to
Billy Bob the moonshiner.  I think I almost died from the alcohol poisoning
that followed the ensuing afternoon of libations.

In the thirties the resident bootlegger in Spring City Tennessee was a man
named Bottle Reed.  The sheriff new well how Bottle Reed made his living and
had to look good to the pious residents.  So the sheriff and Bottle Reed
came to an agreement.  Bottle Redd agreed not to distribute his wares inside
the city limits and the sheriff agreed to leave him alone.

One Saturday night in the middle of winter the sheriff found Bottle Redd at
the local barn dance.  Thinking Bottle Reed was selling his moonshine to the
locals the seriff put him on his horse and ran him through Piney Creek.  Now
Piney Creek is icy cold in the winter and Bottle Reed was less than pleased
with the event.  But Bottle Reed went home disgruntled, wet, and cold.

Later that evening the sheriff discovered that Bottle Reed had not been
selling any product at the dance and was just there enjoying the
entertainment.  Feeling bad about what he had done the sheriff went out to
Bottle Reed's cabin to apologize.  The sheriff stepped onto Bottle Reed's
front porch and knocked on the front door.  Bottle Redd called out, "Who is
there."  The sheriff replied with his name.  Bottle Reed then unloaded both
barrels of his shotgun through the door.

Spring City elected a new sheriff and the incident was relegated to
folklore.  Today half of Spring city is owned by the descendants of Bottle
Redd.  They are major supporters of local charities and other philanthropic
organizations.  As you drive down Hwy 27 approaching the city you will see
the Reed name on several of the business signs.

This story serves to validate the fact that Southerners have their
priorities in proper order.

Best regards,
Tom