[TR] Rotor failure; things to carry with you

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Rotor failure; things to carry with you
From: Brian.L.Jones@gsk.com
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 14:39:09 -0400
I lost two rotors in close succession on the TR8.  I carry several spares
at
all times.  And I heard of an Austin Healey owner replacing his rotor
twice
(or more) in the same day. <snip>

Dave

As a 'get you home', with a rotor that is grounding through its cap to the
distributor spindle, a blob of dielectric grease inside the cap of the
rotor can stop the charge dissipating through to the body of the
distributor (at least it did for me, in an emergency).

Actually an interesting thread for me would be what tools and spares we
feel are worth keeping with the car. I bring a few more items with me for
a longer trip, but would be interested hear about those on the list with
far more experience would recommend. If we can reach any kind of
consensus, I'll happily collate it and provide it to the list.

Here's my list anyway - its more than I thought, now I come to put it
down:

1) ITEMS TO BRING ON EVERY JOURNEY
Spare wheel
Scissor jack from a Mazda (small, effortless to use, fits inside spare
wheel)
Fan belt
2 spark plugs
Dizzy parts: cap, rotor, condenser, points
Bulbs: brake, tail, turn, headlight
Oil: 1 Qt.
Tools: selection of sockets, pliers, spanners, screwdriver, feeler gauge
3 pieces of wire, different lengths
Tape: duct, black electrical
Wire ties
Halatron extinguisher
Tyre plugging kit
Oil filter
Cell phone
Roadside Recovery membership card
Cut-down air compressor
First aid kit (too small to be much use)
Flashlight
Tow rope
Knife
Electrical diagram, TR4

2) ITEMS TO BRING ON LONGER JOURNEYS (>100 MILES)
All the above
Water
Brake fluid
Thermostat