Re: [TR] Checking the drop arm's 3 degree setting

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Checking the drop arm's 3 degree setting
From: DLylis@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 20:17:50 EST
Paul,
1/2" is not far off but mine is assembled and I cannot get a clear  view.  I
have Joe A.'s Delrin Silentblocs in place, etc. so I can't really  see it.
This is what I recommend.  It sounds as though you are going to take  that
drop arm off anyway to reposition so at that time, find the straight ahead  by
finding the center of the worm.
If you are not going to remove the drop arm anyway, do this.   Eliminate any
confusion you have with the wheels by disconnecting the tie rod  ends so the
wheels just flop loose.  Gently turn the steering wheel  (steering shaft if you
do not have the steering wheel on) all the way to one  side until it stops.
Don't jam the peg against the end of the worm.   Now make a mark on the shaft
and on the tube.  Turn the shaft all the way  the other way until it stops,
counting the number of times that the shaft mark  passes the tube mark.  You
will have a fraction of a turn so estimate what  that fraction is.  Now divide
that in half and returning to the side you  started with turn the shaft that
1/2
amount, and make another mark on the tube  where the shaft mark stops.  Now
turn the shaft all the way to the other  side and do the same thing again by
turning it back toward the center the same  number of turns which is 1/2 of the
total turns.  If the two marks on the  tube are not in the exact same place,
split the difference and that is straight  ahead. Mark this on the tube
corresponding to the mark on the shaft and  make it prominent so you can refer
to it.
 Note where the drop arm  is.  Is the axis of the drop arm 3 degrees closer
to the tube from  parallel?  If not you have to reposition the drop arm.  If
you have  questions as to whether or not this is truly straight ahead, take the
cover off  the steering box and note where the rocker arm is.  It should be
mid point  on the worm.
Before reassembling the tie rod ends make sure that the tie rods are the
same length from hole center to hole center.  If not, make them that  way.  I
believe that you can get the tie rod length measurements from  Bentley. If you
make the tie rods the same length that is a good starting  reference point for
getting the car aligned properly.
If you use the marks you have made for reference when you put on the
steering wheel you will be able to get the spokes positioned reasonably  well.
You may get some other suggestions as well as to how to do this, but this  is
what I reasoned out and it worked well for me.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO

products.