Re: [TR] Cleaning Lucas Switches

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Cleaning Lucas Switches
From: Michael Lang <mlang99@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 11:15:14 -0800
Randall,
> I believe only the headlight, ignition and heater switches have been
> replaced on my 59 TR3A.  The headlight switch serves as a fuse for the
> headlights so it's been replaced every time there was a short (until I
> finally added relays and fuses).  The ignition switch simply wore out, and
> the heater control rusted away.  The dash light, wiper and starter switches
> have never been disturbed; but I did disassemble & clean the OD switch once
> thinking it was intermittent.  Problem turned out to be the relay though, so
> it's doubtful the switch actually needed the attention.

I had wondered what the weakest link was in the headlight circuit. I
plan to build my own custom harness using a modern fuse block, relays in
the headlight and horn circuits, 60 Amp alternator, etc. I do have two
sets of switches from both cars so I have extras to sort through,
hopefully coming up with one good set.

Thanks again,

Mike

http://www.vtr.org