[TR] Spit--dragging brake caliper

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Spit--dragging brake caliper
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:25:49 -0400
I put remanufactured brake calipers on my 1980 Spit last summer along
with new rotors and new hoses from the brakes to the brake lines all
around.  The right caliper must be rubbing the rotor without the
brakes applied as I get pretty extreme pull to the right while
driving; when I apply brakes it evens out.  Overall, the braking
action is pretty weak.  I have to push very hard to get a good stop
when I am at even moderate speeds.  As a result I haven't driven it
at all over the winter.  I took it on the road yesterday, with the
same problems showing up, and now I have some time to work on it.  Am
I looking at a brake caliper problem for sure, or could there be
something simpler (less expensive) at fault?  Is it possible for air
in the line to affect one side that way?  Even if the PDWA valve
isn't centered, it wouldn't affect left-right brake action, would it?
Believe me, I'm going to try to bleed the system before doing
anything else, but is there any chance that I will cure the drag by
doing that?

Thanks for any advice,
Tim
Clinton, SC