Re: [TR] exhaust systems

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] exhaust systems
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:17:23 -0700
> Has anyone on the list made up theyr'e own exhaust?  what mufflers
> did you buy that look nice and sound great......or at least sound louder
> than stock?  Most muffler's i've priced from major manufacturers seem
> toooo expensive.

I did more or less the same thing Peter did, except it's just the local
independent muffler shop.  Told the man what I wanted and he fixed me up
with some very nice "Cherry Bomb" brand glasspack mufflers (2 on the Stag, 1
on the TR3A) that worked out very well.  The TR was just a wee bit loud for
my tastes (hard to hear the stereo), so I added a downturned tip that
moderated it just right.  I've literally been asked if that was a V8 (in the
TR).  But the Stag (which got longer, smaller bore mufflers) sounded just
right.

And the cost was VERY reasonable.  The TR just needed the muffler and
(straight) tailpipe, so he only charged me the "installed" price for the
muffler, which ISTR was about $60 (maybe 10 years ago now).  The Stag was
more complicated since he also had to fabricate some hangars and a
crossover, but the bill was still only about $200 (including the pair of
longer glasspacks) in 2005.

Of course it's all mild steel, but without the lead to rot it out, it should
last a long time.  And I'm more into function over form, so I don't care how
it looks.  My experience with glasspacks has been that the housing long
outlasts the fiberglass anyway.  The previous mild steel OEM-equivalent
exhaust on the TR had been on there for 17 years and still had not rusted to
any great extent.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net