[TR] Strange behaviour

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Strange behaviour
From: John Summers <rivers2hills@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:25:20 -0700 (PDT)
Well, it's been a while since I last wrote.  Was in Ohio for a
month,,,,,,,driving the Maxima no less.  Got home and there was tropical rain
from Fay for a week so didn't immediately get to drive the TR6.  Pulled the
covers off it about an hour ago to drive the 5 mile round trip to Office depot.

I normally park in a tight space in the driveway and when I fired the car up
(much easier than I expected) and worked my way forward and back to squeeze out
I heard new and disturbing sounds,,,coming from the steering of all places.  It
also started to bind.
Drove off and did what I went for and backed out of the parking space at Office
Depot and the binding got worse.  I pounded the wheel and steering column with
my hand using the bigger hammer theory but to no avail.  Drove home cautiously,
noting that each small turn on the steering wheel required an effort to get it
back to straight.
Also noted that the tachometer was setting approximately 1/8" to the right of
normal and on the left side of it was a small crescent moon glow.
Now, the question is did the tach and speedometer rust off and fall against the
steering mechanism or WHAT?  Could have been a snake or possum tangled in the
moving parts up front but this seemed to feel more like something hindering the
gear.  I have been wanting to get the quick ratio steering rack but can't
afford it right now after the month in SE Ohio taking care of my 88 year old
aunt.
Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
I'll look closer at it tomorrow in the daylight.

John Summers
'74
TR6

http://www.vtr.org