Re: [TR] Painting brake calipers?

To: "'Randall'" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, "'Triumph List'"
Subject: Re: [TR] Painting brake calipers?
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 12:32:23 -0700
I will have to take exception with that statement.  Acryli-clean and similar
solvents are absolutely insufficient for removing silicon brake fluid.  Ask
me how I know this!

No, don't, I'll volunteer it anyway.  I have a fiberglass bonnet on Tiny Tim
that was a victim of the DOT 5 spray from both the brake and clutch
circuits.  When I went to convert the car from racer to street rod, I ran
into the problem.  It appears that the extreme measures I am referring to
are no less than scrubbing the surface with AJAX or similar abrasive
cleanser.

Among the things that do not work are:

Alcohol, Acrili-Clean, Fin-L-Wash, Lacquer Thinner, turpentine... Need I go
on?

Joe C.