Re: [TR] Oil Pressure 102

To: pdonnel1@san.rr.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Oil Pressure 102
From: DLylis@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:28:20 EST
In a message dated 11/14/2008 11:56:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pdonnel1@san.rr.com writes:

In  speaking of oil pressure, all the TR's I've seen tend to have lower  oil
pressure as they warm up. Now I understand that heat causes metal  surfaces
to expand, and so I can understand some pressure drop. But I've  seen a 30-40
lb drop running from cold to hot. Is such a drop indicative of  a "worn"
engine? What should be expected? My modern car has an oil pressure  gauge,
but it doesn't vary by much. Why do  TR's?

What are the ultimate numbers?  80 - 50 is good, 40 - 10 is not.   Also
depends somewhat on the oil viscosity you use. The higher second  number 10 -
30
vs  20 - 50 is an oil that will respond better to  higher temps.

Why do TRs?  Because they are TRs. Machining tolerances,  vulnerabiliy to
wear, metalurgy, design, etc is better in modern engines than 40  - 50 year old
engines.  I have  Jeep Cherokee that is at 40 lbs all  the time.  (except when
it is shut off, of course).

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO