Re: [TR] TR3 clutch pressure

To: <FGFO1@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Jeff Scarbrough"
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 clutch pressure
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@notwires.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:16:48 -0600
> You won't do it with air, I'd bet.  The difference between air and fluif
> is that one is compressible, the other is not (for our purposes).  You can
> put air pressure in until the cows come home, and I wouldn't think you
> could move the arm enough to see anything.

I disagree - you could certainly do it with air, if you have enough
pressure.  The relative compressibility of the two fluids is immaterial -
pressure is pressure.  The problem is, your home air compressor will
probably produce not more than 125 psig and this will not be enough.

> If you do the arithmetic...I guess it takes about 300 pounds to compress
> the springs on the pressure plate.  I guess the piston in the slave
> cylinder is about 3/4" in diameter, making the area somewhere around 0.44
> square inches.  There may be some mechanical advantage in the fork lever,
> but I don't think it's a lot.  So you're looking at maybe 600 pounds per
> square inch in the pipe, delivered from your pedal.  Can that be right?
> (The pedal, of course, has a huge mechanical advantage.)  Don't forget the
> losses due to friction!

Yes, I would guess it is in the 300-600 psig range - I came at it from the
opposite direction, however.  I assume that the effort required to operate
the clutch pedal is about 50#, the mechanical advantage has got to be 4 or 5
to 1, so, if the clutch piston is .44 sq ins then the pressure in the
hydraulic system would be 400-500 psig.

Mike

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net