Re: [TR] control head redesign?

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, "'list Triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] control head redesign?
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:14:23 -0000
Randall wrote:
> Not sure how far the history of the TR2-3 unit goes
> back, but I think it was on the Mayflower as well.  It's made only of
> Bakelite, brass and steel (with a chromed trim strip).

It goes back further than that, Randall. With absolute certainty to at least
1935. ISTR that in
itself was a carryover from the even earlier days of throttle and ignition
levers being in the
centre of the steering wheel. All Standard cars were fitted with that type of
control head with the
added luxury of a telescopic steering column on the more expensive models. Fair
to say they perhaps
"never got it exactly right" so decided to persevere for another twenty odd
years plus, with the
general public being the test facility - until they finally gave up and tried
another method :)

Jonmac

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net