[TR] TR3 New Rear Main Seal Leaking

To: "'TR List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3 New Rear Main Seal Leaking
From: <bill_beecher@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 23:59:24 -0600
Hello List,

Well I have now put 100 miles on the new engine, it runs great, but I think
I am actually leaking more oil than before the rebuild.  I know, they are
supposed to leak some, it a British right of passage, but I went so far as
to grind the crank to the fit the $150. 'new-and-improved' seal from Moss
that is supposed to resolved much of this problem.  After parking the car
from  a 30min drive I see a 5" dia puddle under the engine at the rear.

Is there a break-in period that I should be aware of?  I intend to change
the break-in oil at 200 miles, will this make a difference?  Can I pull the
pan to inspect the seal without pulling the engine/trans to do it?  If so,
what should I be looking for?

Thanks to all in advance...

Bill Beecher
'58 TR-3A TS/30766 L (On the road in 2009!)

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net