Re: [TR] Aarghhhhh !

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Aarghhhhh !
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 16:56:06 -0700
> 2.  BUT.....the battery is not holding a charge.  I guess that could be a
> bad battery, but could it be anything else?  Is there any way there could
> be a slow drain of the charge?

Sure, all it takes is a high resistance short somewhere.  Could even be
inside the alternator.

Toughest one I've ever fought was on a 70 Audi, where the battery would
mysteriously discharge overnight only sporadically.  Days, weeks or even
months with no problem; then for 3 or 4 days in a row I would come out to a
dead battery.  Not just low, but stone dead.

Finally discovered that problem, more by luck than anything else ... went to
dinner with some friends in their car and walked by the Audi afterwards, so
I could see the warning light for the rear window defogger glowing.  Turns
out there was some dirt (and possibly salt spray) on the relay for the
defogger grid that would get wet with dew and conduct just enough from the
hot terminal to the control terminal, to energize the relay.  New relay and
the problem never happened again.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net