Re: [TR] Caliper Piston Removal

To: GHaynesTR4@aol.com, email list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Caliper Piston Removal
From: Brian Jones <tr4zest@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:29:16 -0500
I'd try compressed air first, just in case that works. It easier to clean up
than getting the grease out ;) I have read that the grease method can move
caliper pistons that compressed air can't shift.

Be careful though. If the air works, its a big bang and the piston may come
out at speed. Put a blanket over the caliper, or some other precaution, like
a C-clamp.

I have also read of people using the car's hydraulic system to achieve the
same effect - remove the caliper from the rotor but leave the hydraulic line
attached, hang it from the suspension by a piece of coat hanger, and press
the pedal.

Another thought: when I was stuck with a stuck piston, I saw a couple of
suggestions / solutions online.

   - Use a plumbers test plug of appropriate diameter (expands inside the
   caliper, providing a point of leverage).
   - Use a pair of pliers made for this job. I could only find Japanese ones
   ($$$). These were similar to the pliers I've seen at HF for spreading
   Battery cable end-terminals, but bigger: Squeezing the handles together
   pushes the business end apart, gripping the piston's inner walls so you
   can agitate it out of its hole.

Brian

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net