Re: [TR] Fwd: Fwd: Caliper Piston Removal

To: "'email list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Fwd: Fwd: Caliper Piston Removal
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:34:33 -0800
>  That is interesting, Randall, and as Rick says, the
> compressability effect is too small to notice

Well, I have to say that I did notice it; but decided it wasn't significant
for my purposes.  You might like to read Nelson's article at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Fluid/Fluid.htm
where he gives a bunch of theoretical calculations, and backs them up with
his own observations.

Note however, that Nelson made a typo in his temperature chart, the minimum
dry boiling point for DOT 5 is 260C, not 230C as written there (the 500F is
correct, showing it was just a typo).

> I can lock
> up all four wheels on my TR4...

Which of course is the absolute bare minimum standard, as far as I am
concerned.  I had no trouble locking all 4 (when I tried) either before or
after converting to DOT 5.  However, I did eventually convert to SS/Teflon
soft lines, because I like the firmer pedal (and the old lines were getting
old).  Don't have before and after measurements, but it seems to me that
they more than compensated for the very slight loss with DOT 5.

> From the VTR maintenance section:

Seems to be some mistake there, I've dropped the webmaster a note.  But the
'official' spec is at
http://tinyurl.com/yhwh7gq , read it for yourself.

-- Randall

http://www.vtr.org