[TR] Maradyne heater for my TR3A

To: Triumph car discussion Sports <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Maradyne heater for my TR3A
From: John A. Wise <60TR3A@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:30:33 -0700
Based in Bill Brewers advice  I also bought the Maradyne heater for my TR3A.
(Thanks Bill!!)
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12-volt-maradyne-cab-heater-12-500-btu.html

I currently have it installed in my TR3 & it is putting out a lot of heat!!!
It is so un-LBC!!!

Unlike Bill I decided to turn the heater core 180 degrees in the box, so that
I could attach the heater box directly to the back of the battery box and
still have all the heat output doors in the right orientation.  To do that I
took the front off the heater box(6 screws), pulled out the core cut the tubes
to size,  I then cut two holes in the front for the input & output lines. & I
then cut off the in & out tubes to size & sweated on elbows to form a U that
bends up over the top of the box.  I decided on over-the-top so as to maintain
the maximum space to be able to be able to get access to the under dash
wiring.

I used compression fittings to get tube size down from 1/2 inch to 3/8 inch,
the size of the heater hose. I also glued an old piece of cork gasket to the
back to insulate the box against rattles and to cover the hole from the
original tube exit holes.

I attached the heater to the inside of the back of the battery box using
heavy-duty pop rivets , I tried to get the bottom of the heater box even with
the bottom of the battery box.  I then connected the water hoses and then the
hot wire using my old heater fan control -- which still works great!

BTW, I found removing the tunnel carpet made it much easier to maneuver the
box under the dash and into position.

On the test drive I was surprised!!!  I have never had an LBC that had such
hot air!!!

I have a word doc with pictures if anyone is interested.  Just contact me off
line.

John

John A. Wise
Glendale, AZ