Re: [TR] headlight trim rings TR3

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] headlight trim rings TR3
From: John Dunham <john.dunham@amphenol-tcs.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:35:46 -0500
After trying to track some rings down for my 62 TR4, I actually used some
headlight trim rings from a Harley motorcycle.  Once you figure out the
diameter you need it is pretty easy to find some.   They were $5 a piece
and with a few simple modifications they work just fine...
Thanks,
John D

             "Randall"
             <tr3driver@ca.rr.
             Sent by:                  "'Frank Fisher'"
             triumphs-bounces@         <yellowtr3@yahoo.com>,
             autox.team.net            <triumphs@autox.team.net>
                                                                        cc

             11/25/2009 11:07                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: [TR] headlight trim rings TR3

> anyone know of an internet source that shows in picture form
> the difference in the headlight trim rings and how they should work?

I don't, but they shouldn't be too hard to distinguish.  There are only 3
types :

TR2-3 used a screw through the bottom of the trim ring to secure it.  The
face of the bucket will have a small angle bracket at the bottom that is
threaded to receive the screw.

Early TR3A (less than 1000 of these as I recall, quite rare) used a
clamp-on
trim ring.  The bucket has raised lips to either side of the bottom, for
the
ring to clamp over.

All the others (through the end of TR6 production) used a clip-on trim
ring.
The face of the bucket has a small, two-pronged spring clip at the bottom,
and the ring has a tab inside that is supposed to push between the prongs
of
the spring clip.  Mine have always been too weak to just push on the trim
ring, so I have to stick the other end of the removal tool in between the
trim ring & bulb retaining ring, to push the tab through the clip.  These
later clip-on trim rings came in (at least) two different widths, but I
believe all TR3A/B originally had the wide (approx 1-3/8") ones.

All of the buckets had a lip at the top.  At one time anyway, replacement
buckets were supplied with lips on the sides (for the clamp-on rings); plus
both angle brackets (for early trim rings) and spring clips (for late trim
rings) that you could attach as needed.  The brackets & clips are also
available separately (Moss 156-010 and 156-020 respectively).

Randall
http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net

http://www.team.net/archive

This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using
Skeptic(tm) technology powered by MessageLabs. To report SPAM or other
related email issues please send an email to Postmaster@amphenol-tcs.com

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net