Re: [TR] Water Wetters - Any Good?

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Water Wetters - Any Good?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 13:39:27 -0700
I have heard that "Water Wetter" helps in some situations.  But when I was
having chronic overheating problems with my TR3A, it seemed to make no
difference at all.  I also discovered that it did NOT protect against
corrosion : a year after filling with purified (reverse osmosis) water &
Redline Water Wetter, the coolant was brown with rust.

Likely it boils down to why you are having a problem.  Just like the old
analogy of a chain being no stronger than its weakest link, it doesn't
matter how good the cooling system is at getting heat to the radiator, if
there isn't enough airflow to carry it away.

So, I would say you need to concentrate on things that will improve airflow
at idle, like perhaps a fan with more blades or more pitch.  My Dad is
taking an unusual approach and tweaking the stock fan blades to have more
pitch; his theory is that they flatten out with age.  I'm thinking of trying
to add a shroud around the stock fan (mostly because it's something I can do
without pulling the front apron).  Of course, an electric fan works well
too, but it introduces the problem of finding enough power to turn it,
especially at idle with the headlights on where the stock generator doesn't
keep up anyway.

-- Randall

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html