Re: [TR] TR3 Tank mounting

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Tank mounting
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:35:51 -0700
> This was discussed a couple years back.  What was the concessus on
> cushioning material for mounting the gas tank in a TR3?
> Something that would not
> wick up water and stay wet.

Personally, I still think the original wool felt works as well as anything.
The tank will always sweat a little under certain conditions, and the porous
wool lets the moisture evaporate.  Plus the natural lanolin acts to repel
water to some extent.

I have had TR3 tanks rust out, but the rust has always been from the inside,
and not associated with where it sits on the pads.  Don't have a photo
handy, but the tank in my wrecked TR3 still looks like new where I put felt
in, some 20 years ago now.  The felt is still in good condition, as well.

Randall

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47