[TR] 65mph:Why TR better than Porsche 911

Subject: [TR] 65mph:Why TR better than Porsche 911
From: staffel at comcast.net (staffel at comcast.net)
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 06:50:10 +0000
Well, in the 70's when the 65 TR4 was still 'relatively new', I often took long
trips from Norman,OK to Albuquerque,NM and NYC.  I'd set the valves per the
blue TR 'race prep book', and hold the rpm on the 4500 rpm line for hours (90).
So one trip, westbound toward Tucumcari,  after gassing up in Amarillo, on the
old rt66/I-40, I see this dot in my rear view mirror. After 30 mins it becomes
a new P 911. Slowly it Passes me (maybe doing 100+). Can see 40 miles ahead on
this stretch of high desert road. 20 mins later it disappears over a rise, and
I 'had a feeling'. Slow up to 75.  Go over the rise- the 911 stopped by a Texas
trooper.  That's why its better to drive a TR vs a 'Porch'!

Now have the 165x15's on Minilites, making the tires 'low profile', so 3000 is
56 vs 60, but still do 75 indicated- occasionally on I-95 or I-66 when I need
to keep up with traffic, but prefer the back roads 60-68 'indicated'(about
55-65)!
Sherman D. Taffel
Columbia. MD
Capital Triumph Register
TR4 40054L
((VTR says last known production surviving American (LHD) TR4 ))
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T