Re: [TR] Media blasting?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Media blasting?
From: "Brian Induni" <308gtsi@roadrunner.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:32:03 -0700
Sender: triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net
Tom,
I would advise you to not bother trying to blast the car yourself. The cost
of the equipment - the small HF blaster isn't going to cut it, and a "real"
blaster is going to take huge amounts of air - the mess, and the time are
all good reasons to have it blasted by a pro. I pay, on average, for a
British sports car (MG, Triumph TR, AH, etc) around $250 - 300 for the
entire car. That is the frame, body tub, fenders, doors, wheels, and every
other bit I can get lose. I don't ever have the hood (bonnet) sand blasted
as it will wrap - this from experience! Either chem strip those or have it
soda blasted.

I do have a small DIY blaster I bought at Sears a long, long time ago. It's
fine for the misc bit that I forgot to take to the blaster or something
needs a touch up. I once tried to blast an engine bay of my first TR3 when I
was in high school, and after an entire weekend of shooting sand, then the
next 3 days digging it out of areas that don't often see the light of day, I
vowed to always have it done by a pro.

My guess is the Stag I have to do next will be more money as it is
significantly larger than the other cars, but I think it is money well spent
to have a car down to bare metal to work with. Rust is easier to fix, paint
sticks better, and the final results is spectacular!

This is, of course, just my humble opinion.

~ Brian

Message: 4