[TR] TR3 Shift knob restoration

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3 Shift knob restoration
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:42:31 -0400
Sender: triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net
Hello,

I have had an original TR3 shift knob that was cracked and showing its age. But I liked the feel of the narrow rubber knob than the after market wooden knobs.

So I wanted to restore it to its original condition.

I first tried coating it with clear silicone caulking but it soon started to peal and look worse than the original dried out knob.

So I tried a product called Plasti Dip. It is used to coat tool handles for better grip.

First I sanded the old knob to smooth it out. Then I cleaned it with lacquer thinner to remove all grease etc.

Then I dipped it into the can of dip and then stood it up on a stick in a vise for 1 hour. Repeated for a final coat and I have to say it looks like brand new!

Feels great in the hand as I am sure the original ones did way back when.

A can of this dip was about 6.75 at Lowes.

Bob

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive