Re: [TR] Knock in rear brakes?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Knock in rear brakes?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:31:48 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net
I had what a noise that I was convinced was a rear wheel bearing.  When I
crawled under the car to pull the hub off I found it was the U-joint on the
half shaft.  What luck.

U-joint problems can be obvious but sometimes they can be misleading.

Dave

In a message dated 8/29/2012 9:31:11 AM Central Daylight Time,
tr250driver@aol.com writes:
> Hi List,
> Shaking down the 68 TR250 for the trip to the 2012 6-PACK Trials.  I have
> been
> chasing a knock in the rear since last year's VTR NATC in Breckinridge.
> It is
> a singular knock coming out of the driver's side rear immediately after
> the
> brakes are applied. It sounds like it is coming from the brakes but that's
> difficult to detrimine exactly. I and others have been all over the entire
> rear suspension and all that we found was loose nuts on both side axle
> flanges. All of the suspension was entirely rebuilt with urethane
> bushings,
> new brakes, shocks and u-joints last year. The loose nuts were tightened
> but
> the knock is still present. It is fairly annoying.  So I am really stumped
> with this one.  Should I just turn the radio up louder or is this the
> knock
> that a 250 makes right before the wheel falls off?
> Cheers,
> Darrell

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html