Re: [TR] Triumph repair operation time guide - aka flat rate manual

To: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TR] Triumph repair operation time guide - aka flat rate manual
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 20:52:04 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Sender: triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net
On 9/7/2012 8:20 PM, McGaheyRx@aol.com wrote:
This question is, I think, in the same vein with those about the service
bulletins.
I recently snagged a "1977 TR7 Repair Operation Times" booklet - an
original British Leyland publication intended to serve as a flat  rate time
guide for dealer service departments - interesting - IMHO  anyway

Quite apart from collector value, the dealer flat-rate guides are always interesting to read, in part because of the outrageousness of them, but also to glean where the big problems were--most times were on the short side, but the big design bugaboos were always kept really short, because they knew warranty reserves were going to be depleted by them, anyway.

Still, if one was working in a dealership, there was not much hilarity in them. I recall well a new Corolla that the owner had asked for an extra key, we cut him one, and it fit, but not perfectly--either the key code on the car was wrong, or there was an imperceptible burr on it, but the key wedged in the "start" position, and the fellow took off and drove about fifty miles. This of course turned the starter into an unregulated generator, and it fried the starting harness (0.3 hours to replace by the book) which took about fifteen minutes, and a part of the instrument harness, which had to be replaced as a unit. Book time for that was 3.0 hours. The entire dash and its support structure had to be disassembled to remove the old harness and route the new one (about thirty major pieces). I think it actually took me ten hours, and about halfway through it, the shop manager was about ready to have me committed because I started yelling at the top of my lungs, every time I hit a snag, "I wanna meet the little Japanese guy that can do this in three hours!"

Still and all, better than the poor GM guys across the street at the time, who were having so much trouble with poor design with regard to disassembly/assembly issues that they were averaging about 12 flat-rate hours a week, even though their yard was full of cars waiting for repairs.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums