[TR] Transmission Fastener Esoterica

To: *Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Transmission Fastener Esoterica
From: Jeff <fishplate@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:55:20 -0400
Sender: triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net
List,

I'm finally able to put my transmission back in the car (1975 TR-6) after several months of resealing and too hot to drive it anyway. There are two 1/2" bolts that fasten the transmission end housing to the mounting bracket. The RH bolt, which is 1/4" longer than the LH, also holds the "steady bracket" for the gearshift extension, and has a spacer on it. This bolt also calls for a jam nut instead of a regular bolt.

When I took all this apart, I don't recall seeing a spacer, and it's not in my bolt bag. This had been out at least once or twice before, so it may have got lost. I can't find any dimensions for the spacer.

So, two questions:

1. How thick should it be? It's easy for me to make one, if I know what size.

2. How important is it, anyway? There must be some clearance issues, since the jam nut is in there too, but I don't want to wait until it's back in the car to find out I need to fiddle and fettle to make it fit right.

TIA,
Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

** triumphs@autox.team.net **