Re: [TR] oil leak

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Gary Nafziger <nafzigerg@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] oil leak
From: <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:56:51 -0400
Sender: triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net
---- Gary Nafziger <nafzigerg@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Recently overhauled tr-3 engine I'm just breaking in has an oil leak which
> just keeps dripping even while sitting still and I think it's simply the oil
> pan drain plug.  (always a drip on it with puddle on the floor).  I've always
> had problems with this plug really sealing on the tr-6 as well as the tr-3.

First thing is to be sure it is really the plug.  Since it is the lowest point,
almost any leak higher up will eventually drip from the plug.  Last time I went
chasing in that area, it was the fuel pump that was leaking oil, and the gasket
formed a small pocket inside so it kept leaking for several days after the
engine was shut off.

If it is the plug, then I suggest:

1) Get a suitable pipe tap and chase the threads.  Since they are tapered, it
is OK to cut just a little bit deeper (say 1/4 turn) to clean up any damage to
the thread surface.
2) Get a hardened hex socket plug rather than the standard square head plug
(plus of course a suitable hex wrench to turn it).  I like to use magnetic
drain plugs, McMaster-Carr has them in both varieties.
3) Use teflon or PTFE "pipe dope" rather than tape.  Should be readily
available at your local hardware or big box store.

All this is assuming you have the later oil pan with the NPT drain plug.  TR2/3
up to TS18901E used a straight-thread plug and a fiber washer.  If you have one
of those, then use a fine flat file to carefully dress the sealing surface,
plus a new washer (WF524  $.50 @ TRF) and Hylomar.  Inspect the plug as well,
sometimes the sealing surface gets distorted.  TRF has the plug listed as V7535.

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums