[TR] TR4A - Balancing Carbs Oddity

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR4A - Balancing Carbs Oddity
From: Q <hdrider570@att.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 09:12:18 -0700 (PDT)
You may want to check that the pistons did not get swapped from one carb to the
other.  While the piston itself is a generic fit part there is a height
adjustment at the bottom of the piston, a small brass area if I remember
correctly, that sets the stop height of the piston at idle.

I had a set of TR4 carbs come back from the rebuilder in such a condition.  The
telltale was that with the engine stopped and the air cleaners off I could see
that the gap below the piston was different on the two carbs.  Swapping the
pistons made the gaps equal and cured all the strange idle problems I was
having.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA

** triumphs@autox.team.net **