Re: [TR] Fwd: problem gas?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Fwd: problem gas?
From: Q <hdrider570@att.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 07:35:03 -0700 (PDT)
I have several TR's that I have been running on ethanol mix fuel for quite a
few years here in California.  There is no doubt that this fuel damages rubber
components.  The Sate government said that it would not effect anything built
after the late 70's when it was first introduced but I have had several newer
fuel lines develop pin holes.  If you happen to have some older fuel lines
laying around the garage you will notice that the part numbers keep changing as
they modify the materials.

My latest "find" was the overflow line in a 1976 TR7.  It was completely
wasted.  Fuel would pour out of it under no pressure other than gravity from
the inch of fuel above the line.  The 1981 TR7 had the same problem when I
bought it last year.

Generally I replace all the rubber components on any car that I buy and have
been doing so for years.  Once that is done I have not had any issues other
than reduced power/mileage due to the lower BTU content per gallon.

All of my cars have been converted to use unleaded fuelor were built to run on
unleaded fuel.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA

** triumphs@autox.team.net **