Re: [TR] TR3 Coil

To: TR3driver@ca.rr.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Coil
From: thenicholls@verizon.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 12:48:47 -0500 (CDT)
 I don't know what I did before Randall and Google.

Craig
72 TR6

On 07/13/14, Randall<TR3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:

> I have been looking for one of the Bosch blue coils with no luck. I
> understand that they are epoxy filled vs. oil filled?

Which is odd, because the oil provides better cooling for the coil. Normally,
epoxy filled coils are only for short-term race track
service. The epoxy provides better vibration resistance, but poorer cooling.

Note that there are quite a few different coils that are blue and say Bosch on
them. Eg,
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BlueCoil.html

> I have a misfire in my TR4A at constant speeds over 2,500 RPM
> but it idles
> perfectly at 1,000RPM and will pull through the gears to
> 4,000 RPM like
> crazy, just can't drive over 2,500 RPM for any length of
> time. I am thinking
> it might be related to my coil.

Seems unlikely to me, but could be. It's certainly worth swapping in another
coil as a test.

> Or, it could be fuel
> related,,

Does sound more like fuel starvation. Will it pick up and run smoothly if you
back off the throttle but keep the rpm up?

> or maybe it's
> those bronze valve guides that are being replaced with stock cast iron
> pieces?

Another possibility, if they weren't reamed large enough after installation.

> Still, I would like to get a source for the blue Bosch coil
> just in case.

FWIW, I've got about 4 years on a Pertronix coil since my new Lucas Sports coil
died in 2010. Works great so far.

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive