Re: [TR] Positive or Negative Earth

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Positive or Negative Earth
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 0:04:04 +0000
---- Dave <dave1massey@cs.com> wrote:
> You don't have a voltmeter, you say?
> Well, you should if you plan on
> doing any electrical troubleshooting.

If you own an old car, you should have a meter even if you don't _plan_ to do
any troubleshooting!

Digital multimeters (which will function as voltmeters) have gotten so cheap,
and so rugged, that there is no excuse not to have one in every old car you
own.  Harbor Freight almost always has one or more of them on sale for under
$10; at the moment I count 3 different models under $10.

If that's too much, check out eBay.  Here's one for $5 with free shipping in
the US.
http://goo.gl/005R2n

Not as accurate as more expensive models, but way better than nothing.  And if
it breaks, just buy another.

There's also a way to do it with a couple pieces of copper wire and a potato,
but I haven't tried it since high school and might not remember all the
details.  As I recall, you cut the potato (to make it easier to see), sprinkle
a little salt on it and jam the wires in fairly close to each other but not
close enough to touch.  The potato will turn green or yellow around one of the
wires; that's the positive wire.

Be sure to discard the potato afterwards.

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive