[TR] TR4 Flasher burnout

To: triumph list list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR4 Flasher burnout
From: "Lee&John Howard" <leejohn7@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 19:58:26 -0700
I've burned through 4 flasher units over the past year or so.  What gives?
Yesterday I checked to make sure all bulbs are correct. Flasher worked
perfectly in the driveway with engine off.  Once I drove away, the unit
quickly failed.
I now have the unit's socket jumped with a wire from the X to L. The signal
lights can be waggled by the switch.
Is there a voltage surge of some sort? The unit definitely overheats and
becomes too hot too touch.  Does that mean I should not run with the jumper
wire?
I've been using a Wathem so-called Heavy Duty Flasher 550. Wouldn't expect
this to be the problem. Not with four having burnt out.
Voltage regulator?

Many thanks for your help, as always.

John

** triumphs@autox.team.net **