[TR] transmission wisdom

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] transmission wisdom
From: "Pete Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 17:31:51 -0500

--===============7772860172428976976==
 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0012_01D0340D.CFB1CE60"

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01D0340D.CFB1CE60
        charset="utf-8"

I=E2=80=99m working on my =E2=80=9856 small mouth.  There was a lot of =
vibration in the transmission so I tore it down to replace bearings in =
the layshaft.  I ended up replacing the layshaft as a precaution as it =
was galled at one location.  When I checked the input shaft there was a =
lot of play between the input shaft and the output shaft so I changed =
the bushing inside the rear of the input shaft.  The bushing was a close =
fit on the output shaft and it took all of the play out which I think =
was the real source of the chattering.  When I put the box back together =
the two shafts want to rotate together.  I can turn them separately, but =
it seems that there is excessive drag between the two.  Is this normal =
after replacing the bushing?  The car isn=E2=80=99t running, in fact the =
body is off getting ready for paint so I don=E2=80=99t know how it will =
act with the rear axle attached.  Any advice is welcome.
TIA
Pete
------=_NextPart_000_0012_01D0340D.CFB1CE60
        charset="utf-8"

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>I=E2=80=99m working on my =E2=80=9856 small mouth.&nbsp; There was =
a lot of vibration in=20
the transmission so I tore it down to replace bearings in the =
layshaft.&nbsp; I=20
ended up replacing the layshaft as a precaution as it was galled at one=20
location.&nbsp; When I checked the input shaft there was a lot of play =
between=20
the input shaft and the output shaft so I changed the bushing inside the =
rear of=20
the input shaft.&nbsp; The bushing was a close fit on the output shaft =
and it=20
took all of the play out which I think was the real source of the=20
chattering.&nbsp; When I put the box back together the two shafts want =
to rotate=20
together.&nbsp; I can turn them separately, but it seems that there is =
excessive=20
drag between the two.&nbsp; Is this normal after replacing the =
bushing?&nbsp;=20
The car isn=E2=80=99t running, in fact the body is off getting ready for =
paint so I=20
don=E2=80=99t know how it will act with the rear axle attached.&nbsp; =
Any advice is=20
welcome.</DIV>
<DIV>TIA</DIV>
<DIV>Pete</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7772860172428976976==--