Re: [TR] Stromberg autochoke enrichment needle

To: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@presby.edu>
Subject: Re: [TR] Stromberg autochoke enrichment needle
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 11:17:26 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs \(triumphs@autox.team.net\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--047d7bdc16862c3d18051451a95d

Tim,

I have a water-choke carb off of a 78 or 79 Spitfire that I wont' be
using...if you send me a picture of the part in question, I'll check the
condition of mine.  If it's good, we can meet one sunny day in Greenwood,
and I'll trade the part for a sandwich.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Tim Gaines <mtgaines@presby.edu> wrote:

> I've been dealing with an issue with the Stromberg 150 (with autochoke) on
> my 1980 Spitfire, getting some help from the Spitfire & GT6 Forum.  The
> engine starts easily, but during the end of the warm-up period when the
> rpms are coming down, there is a sudden drop to a near stall followed by a
> quick recovery and then a cycling of that pattern until the engine is fully
> warm.  Even then, the idle is a bit unsteady compared to what I am used to
> in my TR6.  Yesterday I came to the conclusion that the problem is that the
> enrichment needle in the autochoke is so worn on the slotted end that
> engages the pivot lever (controlled by the bi-metal spring--that thing is
> really complicated!) that the needle doesn't fully seat when the engine is
> warmed and may even vibrate in and out of position.  I have a carb from a
> parts car, but the needle in that unit is also badly worn.  I even found,
> to my surprise, that I had parts of another autochoke in a lot of old carbs
> I bought on Ebay some years ago, b
>  ut the needle there was worn too.  Apparently this wear is very common.
> New needles seem to be unavailable, but a member of the Forum gave me a tip
> on a good used one on Ebay, for $52.  Before I spring for it, I thought I
> would ask if anyone on this list has experienced a similar problem and
> traced it to the autochoke needle.  After all, I'm just working on a theory
> here!
>
> Also--and this is a long shot I'm sure--I'm wondering if anyone on the
> list has the needle in good shape that I could buy for a little less than
> $52.  If I were sure of solving my problem, $52 wouldn't sound so bad, but
> . . . .
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim Gaines
> Clinton, SC
> 1980 Spitfire
> 1974 TR6
>
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/fishplate@gmail.com

--047d7bdc16862c3d18051451a95d

 78 or 79 Spitfire that I wont&#39; be using...if you send me a picture of =
the part in question, I&#39;ll check the condition of mine.=C2=A0 If it&#39=
;s good, we can meet one sunny day in Greenwood, and I&#39;ll trade the par=
l_quote">On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Tim Gaines <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt=
;<a href=3D"mailto:mtgaines@presby.edu"; target=3D"_blank">mtgaines@presby.e=
in:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I&#39;ve been de=
aling with an issue with the Stromberg 150 (with autochoke) on my 1980 Spit=
fire, getting some help from the Spitfire &amp; GT6 Forum.=C2=A0 The engine=
 starts easily, but during the end of the warm-up period when the rpms are =
coming down, there is a sudden drop to a near stall followed by a quick rec=
overy and then a cycling of that pattern until the engine is fully warm.=C2=
=A0 Even then, the idle is a bit unsteady compared to what I am used to in =
my TR6.=C2=A0 Yesterday I came to the conclusion that the problem is that t=
he enrichment needle in the autochoke is so worn on the slotted end that en=
gages the pivot lever (controlled by the bi-metal spring--that thing is rea=
lly complicated!) that the needle doesn&#39;t fully seat when the engine is=
 warmed and may even vibrate in and out of position.=C2=A0 I have a carb fr=
om a parts car, but the needle in that unit is also badly worn.=C2=A0 I eve=
n found, to my surprise, that I had parts of another autochoke in a lot of =
old carbs I bought on Ebay some years ago, b<br>
=C2=A0ut the needle there was worn too.=C2=A0 Apparently this wear is very =
common.=C2=A0 New needles seem to be unavailable, but a member of the Forum=
 gave me a tip on a good used one on Ebay, for $52.=C2=A0 Before I spring f=
or it, I thought I would ask if anyone on this list has experienced a simil=
ar problem and traced it to the autochoke needle.=C2=A0 After all, I&#39;m =
just working on a theory here!<br>
Also--and this is a long shot I&#39;m sure--I&#39;m wondering if anyone on =
the list has the needle in good shape that I could buy for a little less th=
an $52.=C2=A0 If I were sure of solving my problem, $52 wouldn&#39;t sound =
so bad, but . . . .<br>
Thanks,<br>
Tim Gaines<br>
Clinton, SC<br>