Re: [TR] TR3 fan

To: Triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 fan
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahneetr@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 18:28:15 -0700

--20cf30363709a584600516511b66

My experience was similar to Randall's, possibly because one of us copies
everything the other does.

I had an electric fan and halogen H4s with the original dynamo (22 amp in
my case) but never had to run both at the same time.  I did put an accurate
ammeter on both (and everything else) just to know what they draw.

Eventually I replaced the halogens with LEDs and the electric fan with a
tropical so, though it worked, it is no longer a concern.

Geo

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:

> > Anyone out there running an electric fan on a generator (TR3)?
>
> I am.  Original 19 amp too, not the later 22 amp.  Works OK as long as the
> headlights aren't on.  With the 55 watt halogen
> headlights on, I still got by more or less, but only because the fan only
> runs when it is needed.  With both going, the generator
> will just barely keep up at higher rpm without any spare capacity to
> recharge the battery, so it only charges during the times when
> the fan is off.  And of course at low rpm, the original generator doesn't
> do a whole lot, so the ammeter swings well to discharge
> when stopped with the fan running.  After an hour in LA rush hour traffic,
> the battery would still have enough to start the next
> morning, but not a whole lot more than that.
>
> Have I mentioned that I recently converted to LED headlights? <G>  They
> only draw 22 watts or so on low beam, so the margin is much
> higher.
>
> -- Randall
>

> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:

--20cf30363709a584600516511b66

v>I had an electric fan and halogen H4s with the original dynamo (22 amp in=
 my case) but never had to run both at the same time.=C2=A0 I did put an ac=
curate ammeter on both (and everything else) just to know what they draw.</=
e electric fan with a tropical so, though it worked, it is no longer a conc=
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:TR3driver@ca.rr.com"; target=3D"_blank">TR=
" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><=
span>&gt; Anyone out there running an electric fan on a generator (TR3)?<br=

K as long as the headlights aren&#39;t on.=C2=A0 With the 55 watt halogen<b=
r>
headlights on, I still got by more or less, but only because the fan only r=
uns when it is needed.=C2=A0 With both going, the generator<br>
will just barely keep up at higher rpm without any spare capacity to rechar=
ge the battery, so it only charges during the times when<br>
the fan is off.=C2=A0 And of course at low rpm, the original generator does=
n&#39;t do a whole lot, so the ammeter swings well to discharge<br>
when stopped with the fan running.=C2=A0 After an hour in LA rush hour traf=
fic, the battery would still have enough to start the next<br>
morning, but not a whole lot more than that.<br>
Have I mentioned that I recently converted to LED headlights? &lt;G&gt;=C2=
=A0 They only draw 22 watts or so on low beam, so the margin is much<br>
higher.<br>
-- Randall<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> *=
*<br>