[TR] Engine Oil and Transmission Problem

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Engine Oil and Transmission Problem
From: "John Finlayson" <john_finlayson@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 21:07:06 -0700

--===============5756653515071866144==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0013_01D0940A.17CED880"

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01D0940A.17CED880
        charset="utf-8"

I have been using Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil 20w-50 in the engine of my =
=E2=80=9862 TR4 for several years and am now considering changing to =
Lucas Hot Rod and Classic 20w-50. Does anyone have any opinions on the =
two oils and which one may be more appropriate for a TR4? There appears =
to be more zinc and phosphorous in Lucas and also possibly more =
corrosion protection.

BTW several years ago I swapped out my original non overdrive =
transmission in my TR4 for a TR6 overdrive one. Shortly thereafter I =
started having intermittent shifting problems. I would attempt an up or =
down shift and found I couldn=E2=80=99t get past neutral. I got several =
suggestions for the cause of the problem from list members. The one that =
seemed the most likely to me based on the symptoms I was experiencing =
was a problem with the shift interlock mechanism. To confirm the =
diagnosis I replaced the top cover on the overdrive transmission with =
the top cover from my original non overdrive transmission. I expected =
the problem to go away. This top had given me zero problems in many =
miles of use on the original transmission . The shift problem continued, =
however, with this top on the overdrive transmission. I had trouble =
accepting that the problem wasn=E2=80=99t in the top. I tried two more =
tops. They all failed in the same way. I pulled the overdrive =
transmission and reinstalled the original transmission.=20

After pulling the transmission, it appears the problem is caused by the =
reverse gear operating lever fulcrum pin (part 106448) that is threaded =
into the inner side of the transmission case. It was threaded out too =
far and appeared to be intermittently causing the reverse shift assembly =
to interfere with the shift mechanism for the forward gears, causing the =
interlocks to activate .  I=E2=80=99m confident this will resolve the =
problem but I have not yet reinstalled the overdrive transmission in the =
TR4.=20

If anyone has a similar problem, it=E2=80=99s worth checking that pin to =
be sure it=E2=80=99s within spec. Several members had asked me to let =
them know when ever I discovered what the problem was. It=E2=80=99s been =
a long saga.=20

If you have any views on the engine oils, please let me know.

Thanks,
John  =20
   =20

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01D0940A.17CED880
        charset="utf-8"

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>I have been using Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil 20w-50 in the engine of =
my =E2=80=9862=20
TR4 for several years and am now considering changing to Lucas Hot Rod =
and=20
Classic 20w-50. Does anyone have any opinions on the two oils and which =
one may=20
be more appropriate for a TR4? There appears to be more zinc and =
phosphorous in=20
Lucas and also possibly more corrosion protection.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>BTW several years ago I swapped out my original non overdrive =
transmission=20
in my TR4 for a TR6 overdrive one. Shortly thereafter I started having=20
intermittent shifting problems. I would attempt an up or down shift and =
found I=20
couldn=E2=80=99t get past neutral. I got several suggestions for the =
cause of the=20
problem from list members. The one that seemed the most likely to me =
based on=20
the symptoms I was experiencing was a problem with the shift interlock=20
mechanism. To confirm the diagnosis I replaced the top cover on the =
overdrive=20
transmission with the top cover from my original non overdrive =
transmission. I=20
expected the problem to go away. This top had given me zero problems in =
many=20
miles of use on the original transmission . The shift problem continued, =

however, with this top on the overdrive transmission. I had trouble =
accepting=20
that the problem wasn=E2=80=99t in the top. I tried two more tops. They =
all failed in=20
the same way. I pulled the overdrive transmission and reinstalled the =
original=20
transmission. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>After pulling the transmission, it appears the problem is caused by =
the=20
reverse gear operating lever fulcrum pin (part 106448) that is threaded =
into the=20
inner side of the transmission case. It was threaded out too far and =
appeared to=20
be intermittently causing the reverse shift assembly to interfere with =
the shift=20
mechanism for the forward gears, causing the interlocks to activate =
.&nbsp; I=E2=80=99m=20
confident this will resolve the problem but I have not yet reinstalled =
the=20
overdrive transmission in the TR4. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If anyone has a similar problem, it=E2=80=99s worth checking that =
pin to be sure=20
it=E2=80=99s within spec. Several members had asked me to let them know =
when ever I=20
discovered what the problem was. It=E2=80=99s been a long saga. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If you have any views on the engine oils, please let me know.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>John&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============5756653515071866144==--