Re: [TR] TR3 Generator

To: "terryrs@comcast.net" <terryrs@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Generator
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahneetr@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 17:27:35 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--e89a8f83aaefe07499052d7ea535

I bought a replacement generator from Moss some years ago but didn't much
like it.  At the time I don't think the catalog was clear what they were
selling and no rebuilt units were offered.

It worked fine but did not look at all original.  As I recall it has cast
iron end plates painted black (not natural alloy like the Lucas version).
The overall workmanship looked cruder though as I said, it did work.

My preference is a good rebuilt - though it sounds like that approach
didn't work for you on this most recent one.

I know of no reason why one would replace a control box that was working
correctly but I would certainly take a close look at everything.  Brackets
can break, pedestals can get wallowed out, etc -- smaller failures can
manifest themselves in a generator failure which may recur if the
underlying problem is not resolved.

Geo

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 4:08 PM, <terryrs@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hello, everyone.
>
> Moss is selling a "replacement" generator for $139.  They have the
> original Lucas rebuilt too, but anyone have experience with the replacement?
>
> Drove to work today (34 degrees in the morning, but that's why the make LL
> BEAN outergear).  Coming home, horrendous noise from the (recently rebuilt
> but that's a different issue) generator.  Charge light came on but I made
> it home on the battery.
>
> Is it necessary to buy a generator and a voltage regulator at the same
> time as "paired"?
>
> Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
> New Hampshire
>
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:

--e89a8f83aaefe07499052d7ea535

years ago but didn&#39;t much like it.=C2=A0 At the time I don&#39;t think =
the catalog was clear what they were selling and no rebuilt units were offe=
al.=C2=A0 As I recall it has cast iron end plates painted black=C2=A0(not n=
atural alloy like the Lucas=C2=A0version).=C2=A0=C2=A0 The overall workmans=
y preference is a good rebuilt - though it sounds like that approach didn&#=
of no reason why one would replace a control box that was working correctly=
 but I would certainly take a close look at everything.=C2=A0 Brackets can =
break, pedestals can get wallowed out, etc -- smaller failures can manifest=
 themselves in a generator failure which may recur if the underlying proble=
tra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 4:08 PM,  <span =
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:terryrs@comcast.net"; target=3D"_blank">te=
" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;padding-left:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(=
204,204,204);border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid">Hello, everyone=
.<br>
Moss is selling a &quot;replacement&quot; generator for $139.=C2=A0 They ha=
ve the original Lucas rebuilt too, but anyone have experience with the repl=
acement?<br>
Drove to work today (34 degrees in the morning, but that&#39;s why the make=
 LL BEAN outergear).=C2=A0 Coming home, horrendous noise from the (recently=
 rebuilt but that&#39;s a different issue) generator.=C2=A0 Charge light ca=
me on but I made it home on the battery.<br>
Is it necessary to buy a generator and a voltage regulator at the same time=
 as &quot;paired&quot;?<br>
Terry Smith, &#39;59 TR3A<br>
New Hampshire<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">triumphs@au=